3.14.2010

Grandma’s Raisin Bran Muffins

IMG_3814

The exact origins of this recipe is a mystery to me.  My grandmother has been making these raisin bran muffins for as long as I can remember, so to me, they are Grandma’s muffins.  Now, if you work for Kellogg or if this recipe happens to belong to you.. thank you for lending it to my grandmother for all these years.

Now that she no longer makes them on her own I have decided to make sure my grandmother and grandfather can still have their raisin bran muffins on occasion for breakfast and am now making them myself.

These muffins are sweet enough to be a mid afternoon snack if you are scared away by the 1 1/2 cups of sugar!

Grandma’s Raisin Bran Muffins

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 1/2 tsp baking soda (yes, baking soda not baking powder)

1 tsp. salt

3 cups raisin bran cereal

2 cups buttermilk (I used a cup of 2% milk and a cup of plain yogurt, works just as well!)

1/2 cup vegetable oil (Once again you can probably substitute the oil with apple sauce but since these muffins were for my grandparents I thought I would skip “exotic” substitutions and stick to the recipe.

2 large eggs

Directions:

The recipe makes 18 muffins (which freeze well)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line muffin cups with liners.

Stir flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl.  Mix in the raisin bran cereal.  Whisk buttermilk, oil and eggs in bowl to blend.  Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Like any other muffin recipe, do not over mix.  Just walk away..even if you feel the urge to give it one more stir.

The muffins will look a little pale but don’t worry, they will come out a lovely, honey gold color.

Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.  IMG_3804 *guest appearance - the awesome Pike’s Place Market mug I bought in Seattle when I went to visit my sister!*

Bake about 20 minutes.

IMG_3817 I wonder if this recipe would work with other types of cereal.  I’m sure it would work with corn flakes and dried apricots or cut up apples, might be worth a try!

IMG_3815

Thanks Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment